With over 80,000 clips submitted from 189 countries, Life in a Day became the biggest participatory film project ever made. From 4,500 hours of footage, Kevin Macdonald and his team created a 90-minute feature film that premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival and on YouTube. It’s since been watched over 16 million times. This year thousands of videos will also be woven together to create a feature film premiering at the 2021 Sundance Film Festival.
In 2020, history is being made every day. Australian bushfires. Civil unrest in Hong Kong. A pandemic that took precious lives and changed the way we live. Protests in every corner of America — and around the world — to demand that Black Lives Matter. But in the midst of these extraordinary events, everyday life still continues. What if we captured all of it in a single day? You might record a typical day — going to work, connecting with family, being with friends. Or maybe something special is happening – it’s your wedding day, you have important news to share, or you’re having a baby. You could show us lockdown in your city, how your world is opening up, or something you’re fighting for. Additionally, you may want to tell the viewers about something you love, fear or want to change.
The deadline is on 2 August 2020.
- When filming anyone other than yourself, such as your family, your friends, or even strangers, you must get them to sign an appearance release form
- This is essential, especially for anyone who is clearly identifiable, talks to camera or can be heard talking
- Organizers will accept footage shot on any device, including mobile phones, but higher resolution footage will translate better to the finished film
- Choose 4K over 1080p if your camera will allow it
- Also, select 24fps as your frame rate, or 30fps if that is not an option on your camera or phone
Find out more about Life in a Day project.
Photos: Shutterstock / Photomontage: Martina Advaney
Check out more opportunities here.
Share this post
Interested in co-operating with us?
We are open to co-operation from writers and businesses alike. You can reach us on our email at email@example.com and we will get back to you as quick as we can.