The jury of the Youth Democracy Award puts democracy as the highest priority and will continue awarding the “Youth Democracy Award” in 2018, honoring projects, initiatives and activities by and for young people who do not only commit themselves for democracy, but also reveal current difficulties and challenges of democracy. Because democratic structures cannot be taken for granted, but always need to be developed further.
The decision about the winner will be made by a youth jury consisting of pupils, apprentices, volunteers and students, aged 14 – 27 from all over Germany. Applicants will be informed about the decision in June 2018. The three most outstanding projects will be awarded with up to 3000 € in Bonn between September and December 2018 when the price ceremony of the International Democracy Award also takes places.
- Candidates should be 14-27 years of age;
- Projects should be organised solely by the applicant or/and supported by grown-ups who work on a full-time basis;
- Applicants from all European (EU and non-EU) countries are eligible to apply;
- The project could be an (international) youth event, a political media project, a tournament, a community centre for youth or something that is totally different;
- The project should be mainly related to democratic work, due to the award’s main emphasis is on civic education;
- It should cause a sustainable impact on democratic structures and strengthen and improve democracy;
- Projects could last a day, a few months or several years. But all projects mustn’t be finished before 15th April 2018. A non-profit background is a must.