The L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future Contests have left an indelible mark on the fields of science fiction and fantasy. With more than three decades of developing new professional writers, the impact that the two Contests have had on the field is impossible to measure.
Prizes of $1000, $750 and $500 are awarded every three months. The writer of the grand-prize-winning story receives the L. Ron Hubbard Golden Pen Award and an additional $5000 cash prize. All winners will also receive trophies.
Entries submitted in hard copy must be typewritten or a computer printout in black ink on white paper, printed only on the front of the paper, double-spaced, with numbered pages. All other formats will be disqualified. Each entry must have a cover page with the title of the work, the author’s legal name, a pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, e-mail address and an approximate word count.
Electronic submissions will separately include the author’s legal name, pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, e-mail address and approximate word count. Manuscripts will be returned after judging only if the author has provided return postage on a self-addressed envelope.
The deadline is on 30 June 2020.
- The contest is open to new and amateur sci-fi and fantasy writers
- All types of science fiction, fantasy and dark fantasy
- All entries must be original works by the entrant, in English. Plagiarism, which includes the use of third-party poetry, song lyrics, characters or another person’s universe, without written permission, will result in disqualification
- Entries may not have been previously published in professional media
- To be eligible, entries must be works of prose, up to 17,000 words in length
Photo: Shutterstock / Edited by: Martina Advaney
Share this post
Interested in co-operating with us?
We are open to co-operation from writers and businesses alike. You can reach us on our email at email@example.com and we will get back to you as quick as we can.