If you are currently looking for an opportunity to gain new skills in Berlin, as a part of a journalism fellowship, look no further.
Rest and Refuge Fellowship program for journalists from countries with restricted press freedom is going into the next round.
For 2022, they are inviting two journalists from countries with restricted press freedom to Berlin. For a limited period of six months, they will grant them time off to recover from difficult working conditions and to further participant’s professional and personal development. After the six-month fellowship, participants can return to their home countries strengthened to continue with their journalistic work.
Stay in Berlin is planned for a period from 1st of May until 31st of October 2022. But, because of COVID, these dates may be updated or changed.
The Fellowship Benefits
- Travel expenses, provide an apartment in Berlin and travel health insurance.
- A monthly stipend of €1,000.
- Participants can, if they wish, withdraw completely from public life and use the time in Berlin to work on their own projects. However, they also provide opportunities for further education, professional networking and resilience building
Eligibility for Application
- Several years of work experience as a journalist
- Personal threat due to journalistic work or difficult working conditions caused by external factors.
- Good knowledge of the English or German language at a conversational level
- A passport that is valid for at least another twelve months from the date of the application (or that can be independently extended/reapplied for)
- A state of health that allows for longer trips and a six-month stay in the host country, as well as sufficient independence to master everyday challenges.
- Willingness and possibility to return to the country of origin after the period of stay
- Your application must include the following documents:
- The completed and signed application form. Follow the official link for the application form.
- A scan of your current passport
- Your curriculum vitae in tabular form (CV)
- A motivation letter (1-2 pages) in which you explain why you need a sabbatical. Please elaborate on what specific factors endanger or complicate your working situation. Please also write about how you plan to use your time off in Berlin.
Please send the completed application form and the other requested documents as individual PDFs to: email@example.com.
Picture courtesy of Reporter Ohne Grenzen and Tageszeitung.
Are you interested in entering an art competition being presented in London?
Share this post
Interested in co-operating with us?
We are open to co-operation from writers and businesses alike. You can reach us on our email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as quick as we can.