If the reader knows an individual or an organization/community that is setting an example with their recycling initiatives, he/she can nominate them as a #RecyclingHero and they could win $1,000 towards supporting their recycling and environmental initiatives. Or he/she could even nominate himself/herself!
Once the applicant has nominated his/her #RecyclingHeroes, the Global Recycling Foundation team will recognize the top 100 #RecyclingHeroes and ten winners will be chosen from across the world. The ten winners will jointly represent the following regions: North America, Central & South America, Europe, Africa, and Australasia. Each of the ten winners will receive a $1,000 prize to contribute to their recycling initiative, and the Foundation will promote their work to audiences across the world.
The mission of Global Recycling Day, as set out by the Global Recycling Foundation, is two fold:
- To tell world leaders that recycling is simply too important not to be a global issue and that a common, joined-up approach to recycling is urgently needed.
- To ask people across the planet to think resource, not waste, when it comes to the goods around us – until this happens, people simply won’t award recycled goods the true value and repurpose they deserve.
- The Global Recycling Foundation suggests nominating the candidates using the following categories: World Leaders, Activists, Rising Youth Stars, Towns, Cities, and Businesses;
- The competition is open worldwide;
- Nominate the #RecyclingHeroes by 8th March 2020 and complete the online form detailing who the applicant is nominating and why in 100 words or less;
- Share his/her #RecyclingHeroes nominee on Instagram or Twitter and use the hashtag #RecyclingHeroes and #GlobalRecyclingDay. For Instagram posts, the applicant is to include a photo of his/her choice, i.e an image of the nominee, or a recycling-related image be following GlbRecyclingDay on Twitter and on Instagram.