The best tips for making healthy breakfast
Porridge breakfast is a time saver in the mornings. Oats provide carbs that release energy slowly over time so you stay full longer. To really make the process quick, use oatmeal that can be cooked in a microwave in a couple of minutes. Put it in a bowl next to the kettle the night before so that in the morning all you need to do is to pour some hot water and stick it into the microwave.
To make porridge interesting, think about the toppings you like. Nuts and dried fruits are always a way to go: cranberries, raisins, figs, cashews, almonds, and chia seeds. They’ll be cheaper if you buy them in bulk in baking aisle. Add some honey, sweets and chocolate or milk/yogurt. Plus, you’ll burn your breakfast calories throughout the day.
This is a cheat alternative to the porridge. Flapjack is a British oatmeal bar that you would have with a cup of tea. Only five ingredients and it only takes about 20 minutes to make. Here is the recipe:
- Prepare 100 g of each: oats, butter, golden/corn syrup, self-rising flour, any of dried fruit/nuts/chocolate/sweets.
- Melt butter and mix with the syrup. Add all the ingredients and mix them together.
Put the batter onto wax paper on a sheet pan in a preheated at 200 °C oven for 15 minutes. Ta-da!
- Wait until it cools down, then cut into rectangles and keep in a tin as you would store biscuits.
Here I’m going to share a recipe of a homemade salted salmon. If you get a 200-300g piece of salmon for about four euros, it’ll be enough for you to have a week’s worth of breakfast sandwiches.
- Prepare the ingredients: salmon, salt, sugar, oil.
- Cut salmon into small pieces, add half a tablespoon of salt and half a teaspoon of sugar, top it off with four tablespoons of olive or sunflower seed oil.
- Place the fish in a container with a lid and leave in the fridge for 24 hours.
Salmon will taste delicious on a buttered toast, or in a sandwich along with an egg, avocado, and some green leaves.
Grilled cheese sandwich
If you feel that you have 10 minutes to cook in the morning, grilled cheese sandwich is a simple hot sandwich to make:
- Shred some cheese and put in between two slices of buttered bread.
- Toast the sandwich on both sides in a preheated skillet until golden brown.
- Cut diagonally and enjoy! Make your toasty as sophisticated as you wish by adding some ham or tomatoes.
Fats are good after a night out. They help your body metabolise alcohol faster. So to start off your day smoothly, have some scrambled eggs with bacon.
If you don’t feel like cooking, have a pack of toast waffles/pancakes ready for you to grab and run.
If you’re running late, keep some oatmeal sachets, cereals or any other snacks in your locker at work/at uni. It’s also nice to have some hot chocolate mix ready.
Read about breakfast more here.
Share this post
Interested in co-operating with us?
We are open to co-operation from writers and businesses alike. You can reach us on our email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as quick as we can.