Explore the fellowships in research and community development, offering promising benefits.
Opportunities come to you, and you have to go and grab them. These are prestigious and should be pursued by anyone eligible for them. Research and community development are areas that are though explored, but the candidates pursuing them often do not get the necessary support that they require to complete their studies. Where research helps in identifying issues pertaining to a certain sphere, community development gives residents more control over their lives and forges stronger, more cohesive communities. Therefore, in this weekly opportunities digest of Youth Time Magazine, we present esteemed fellowships that financially support research fellows and community developers.
Asia Foundation Development Fellows Program 2022
The Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is a dynamic and multifaceted learning program designed for highly talented Asian individuals under the age of 40 to enhance their leadership skills, Asian development knowledge, professional networks, and international exposure.
The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia-Pacific. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, our work across the region focuses on good governance, women’s empowerment and gender equality, inclusive economic growth, environment, climate action, and regional and international relations.
The Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is comprised of the following components:
- Spring 2023: Leadership Training Program & Study Tour
- Forum on Leadership for Asia’s Future (Asia)
- Fall 2023: Leadership Dialogue and Exchange Program
- Professional Development Awards for up to $5,000 will be available to each selected fellow.
- Executive Coaching & Mentoring
Asia Foundation Development Fellows must:
- Have a demonstrable record of experience and accomplishment related to The Asia Foundation’s fields of expertise: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment and gender equality, environment, and regional cooperation;
- Be thoughtful, committed, respected, and inspirational leaders within their professional fields and within their larger community;
- Be under 40 years of age by January 1, 2023;
- Be conversant in English (TOEFL exam results are not required);
- Be available and able to participate in all program components on the program dates specified;
- Be resident nationals or citizens of the following countries and regions where The Asia Foundation has programs: Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Bhutan; Cambodia; China; India; Indonesia; Japan; Korea; Laos; Malaysia; Mongolia; Myanmar; Nepal; Pacific Islands; Pakistan; Philippines; Singapore; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Timor-Leste; and, Vietnam.
The last day to apply for the fellowship is September 16, 2022.
Read more about the fellowship here.
Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program (SIFP)
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program offers opportunities for independent research or study related to Smithsonian collections, facilities, and/or research interests of the Institution and its staff. Fellowships are offered to graduate students, predoctoral students, and postdoctoral and senior researchers to conduct independent research.
The Smithsonian Institution encourages access to its research staff, collections, and reference materials by visiting scholars, scientists, and students. The Institution offers appointments for research and study using its collections and facilities, with the advice and guidance of its research staff members.
Category Stipend Research Allowance
Senior Fellowships: $55,000 per year up to $5,000
Postdoctoral Fellowships: $60,000 per year up to $5,000
Predoctoral Fellowships: $42,000 per year up to $5,000
Ten-Week Graduate Student: $8,000 N/A
Determination of the fellowship category for which to apply should be based on the anticipated academic level at the time the fellowship would begin:
- Senior Fellowships – Applicants must have held a Ph.D. or equivalent for at least seven years. Applicants who have received the Ph.D. or equivalent before November 1, 2014, are eligible to apply for senior fellowships.
- Postdoctoral Fellowships – for scholars up to seven years beyond the Ph.D.
- Predoctoral Fellowships – for doctoral candidates to conduct dissertation research. Students enrolled in a university as candidates for the Ph.D. or equivalent are eligible for predoctoral fellowships.
- Ten-Week Graduate Student Fellowships – for graduate students to conduct independent research usually before having been advanced to candidacy if in a Ph.D. program.
The deadline for the opportunity is November 1, 2022.
Read about the opportunity on the official website.
Facebook Community Accelerator
Applications are open for Facebook Community Accelerator for the year 2022. The program develops you and your community through a customized curriculum and personalized coaching to strengthen your community.
The vision of Meta is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. At Meta, they work constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to connect people all over the world. That’s why it’s important that the workforce reflects the diversity of the people they serve.
Receive grant money to help fund work that advances your community’s goals. This year the organization looks forward to awarding up to $40,000.00 per community through the Grant Management Partner GlobalGiving.
This program is open to communities that have a presence in Facebook Groups with leaders who are 18 years of age or older and reside in the following countries: Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Peru, Mexico, Brazil, United States, Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Bangladesh, United Kingdom, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana, Zambia, Tanzania, Egypt, Morocco, Lebanon, Jordan, United Arab Emirate & India. Communities must have existed for over one year and must have a minimum size of 5,000 members.
The last day to apply for the program is September 10, 2022.
Read more about the opportunity here.
Photo: Anton Vierietin/Shutterstock
You might also like:
All your donations will be used to pay the magazine’s journalists and to support the ongoing costs of maintaining the site.