The competition is organized by the UONGOZI Institute. “Uongozi” means leadership in Kiswahili, and inspiring and strengthening leadership is the core purpose of the organisation. Based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, UONGOZI Institute is dedicated to supporting African leaders to attain sustainable development for their nations and for Africa. The Institute is a government agency established by the Government of Tanzania and supported by the Government of Finland.
The Leadership Essay Competition is organised annually by UONGOZI Institute to provide a space for the youth of Africa and the next generation of leaders in the region to contribute to important discussions on leadership and sustainable development. The essays should respond to the following question: “If you were an African leader, how would you promote African intra-trade to unlock agricultural potential in the Continent?” A grand prize of USD $2,000 will be awarded to the overall winner. Up to five winners will be selected. The winners will receive their awards at a prize-giving event, which will be held online during the ALF in July 2020. The ceremony will be attended by former African Heads of State and other distinguished leaders from the public sector, private sector, academia and civil society.
The deadline is on 10 July 2020.
- The competition is open to all African citizens between 18-25 years
- The maximum length of the essay is two A4 pages
- The format should be of single spaced, Arial font size 11 with page margins of 1 inch (2.54 cm) for each margin, and sent as a Microsoft Word document
- All essays must be written in English
- Essays will be judged on the basis of originality, creativity, use of language and appropriateness to contest theme
Photo: Shutterstock / Edited by: Martina Advaney