Essay Award Topic for 2020: Rule of Law and Human Rights: Strengthening Democratic Institutions
The Academy will grant two Awards, one for the best article in English and one for the best article in Spanish. The Award in each case will consist of:
- A full scholarship to the Program of Advanced Studies on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law for either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance options
- Travel expenses to and from Washington D.C.
- Housing at the university dorms
- Per diem for living expenses
- The best articles may also be published in the American University International Law Review
- Candidates for the Award must hold a law degree and have a demonstrated experience or interest in international human rights law.
The papers must not exceed 35 pages in length, including footnotes. Essays must use Times New Roman font, 12-point double-spaced for the body of the essay and 10-point single-spaced for footnotes. Character spacing must be set to normal. All essays must be on letter size paper (8.5 x 11 inches/21.59 x 27.94 cm) with 1 inch (2.54 cm) margins all around. Any essay that does not follow the guidelines will be reformatted and 5 points will be taken off. If the essay is longer than 35 pages, it will be automatically disqualified. The essay has to be a legal article; therefore, it will include foot pages and citations. The absence of those will cause that the essay will be disqualified.