Tactical Tech is a non-profit organisation based in Berlin, working since 2003 to advance the use of information and digital technologies by advocates and activists worldwide.
The residency is part of a project launched by the Tactical Technology Collective and Reporters without Borders Germany, meant to strengthen Berlin as a hub for a creative community that can inspire change around the world. Tactical Tech will host two residents simultaneously. In parallel, Reporters Without Borders will host a residency for a journalist.
During the residency period of September to November 2016 organizers will be working on a number of projects including continued research and development on new investigation techniques on Sonic Investigation and Seeing from Above, looking at how to integrate digital security into investigation workflows and lastly the continued testing of Littlespoon, a tool that captures public data for investigation purposes. There is also room for selected residents to work within our framework on their own investigations and interest areas.
- Applicants should be from Latin America, Africa, Asia, Central Asia, the Caucasus, Eastern Europe or the Middle East;
- Be confident working in English;
- Use digital technologies extensively in work;
- Have a good knowledge of digital technologies (the internet, mobile phones etc) and their challenges and implications for freedom of information or advocacy work in your own context;
- Be willing to act as a multiplier and further spread the knowledge you gathered during the residency in your home region
Participation is fully funded. As the resident, you will be provided with support in your visa application process. Return trip from your home country, health insurance and accommodation in Berlin for two months will be covered. As well residents will get a monthly stipend covering living expenses.