- If you do not have a heated green house, it is just about time to clean it and organise for the seasson.
- It’s the same for the implements. Clean them and keep them ready.
- It’s time for the planting of the first batch of seeds. Ideally in the green house. You can begin with vegetables such as salads or radishes.
- At home it is time to begin preparing the seeds to grow seedlings. It takes them about three weeks to take root and germinate. Initially, what you will see are what are called the 2 fake leaves. The two ‘real’ ones come shortly after which tells you if the plant has taken off or not. Seeds for tomatoes, eggplant, even cucumber and for flowers such as petunia can be begun with for later replanting outdoors.
- Check the situation with the compost and if necessary water it a little. To speed up the process you can also add Nitrolime. We wrote about it in our last article – January in the Garden that it works for disinfecting and as a fertilizer. Nitrolime is added to wet compost to hasten the process.
- Replanting of indoor plants can also take place now, specially if they are obviously suffering. Bad dry leaves, fungus on the soil or other problems must be dealt with. New soil with fertilizer will do them good.
Photos: Martina Advaney / Shutterstock