The Pulliam Fellowship awards $75,000 to an outstanding editorial writer or columnist to help broaden his or her journalistic horizons and knowledge of the world. The annual award can be used to cover the cost of study, research and/or travel in any field. The fellowship results in editorials and other writings, including books.
The Eugene C. Pulliam Fellowship was established to enable a mid-career editorial writer or columnist to have time away from daily responsibilities for study and research. The cash award allows Pulliam Editorial Fellows to take courses, pursue independent study, travel, and pursue endeavors that enrich their knowledge of a public interest issue.
The Eugene C. Pulliam Fellowship is a Sigma Delta Chi Foundation program. The Society of Professional Journalists first offered the fellowship in 1977, when Nina Pulliam provided funding for the program. It honor Mrs. Pulliam’s husband, one of the original members of the Society, which was founded in 1909 as Sigma Delta Chi. Eugene C. Pulliam was the publisher of The Indianapolis Star, The Indianapolis News, The Arizona Republic and The Phoenix Gazette.
The deadline is on 20 June 2020.
- A candidate must hold a position as a part-time or full-time editorial writer or columnist
- News publication should be in the United States
- Applications also are welcome from freelance opinion writers who devote a majority of their time, or derive a majority of their income, from that pursuit
- At least three years experience as an editorial writer or columnist
- All entries must be in English
- Each Fellowship recipient will become a mentor to the following year’s recipient. Each applicant should submit the following materials: a cover letter, a timeline for accomplishing the work, and a plan for how the stipend will be used
- A candidate should submit the editor’s endorsement, a one-page professional biography and summary of professional experience in addition to five samples of editorials or columns
Photo: Shutterstock / edited by: Martina Advaney
Share this post
Interested in co-operating with us?
We are open to co-operation from writers and businesses alike. You can reach us on our email at email@example.com and we will get back to you as quick as we can.