Edible And Poisonous – Which Mushrooms Are Too Often Being Confused

52

I myself am not much of a fan of dishes made from mushroom, nevertheless the process of picking them is very relaxing. Even though I knew to recognize a fair number of the edible ones from the non-edible variety or even the that are poisonous, I always stuck to those easier to identify. Many mushrooms have very similar twin. It’s good not to confuse them.

Picking mushrooms
We start with the less dangerous ones. While the Cantharellus cibarius (left) is an exceptional edible mushroom, its twin Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca (right) is not exactly poisonous but it sure is non-edible that can create a health problems.
When it comes to these two, the problem is much bigger. While Boletus-luridus (left) is tasty characterised by a typical change of colour of the pores to blue once pressed, the similar looking Boletus satanas (right) does not have this attribute and is very poisonous. The colour of the pores otherwise is red and so is the leg.
Amanita rubescens (left) can often be mistaken for poisonous Amanita pantherina (right). The edible Amanita rubescens are fabulously tasty mushrooms and they taste like hazelnuts and are often prepared just by frying them with cumin. The main recognizable element is the ring. While the edible Amanita rubescens has its double ring which is grooved and can be moved, the Amanita pantherina has its ring smooth and firmly attached to the leg.
And finally the difference between the last pair of easily confused mushrooms. Macrolepiota procera is an edible mushroom, while Lepiota aspera is very poisonous.

In case of uncertainty and for detailed information about mushrooms, it is crucial to refer to professional literature.

Photos: Shutterstock / Graphic Design: Martina Advaney

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...