While preparing the dish and to keep it genuine, I took into account the prices of today. Wherever possible I have calculated the lowest prices I have found and that includes the ingredients available at a discount (not expired though!).
- Cous Cous 200g = EUR 0,3 (1kg EUR 1,49)
- 0,4kg of chicken breasts cut in strips EUR 1,8 (1kg EUR 4,4)
- 1 red paprika cca 60g EUR 0,3 (0,18kg = EUR 1)
- 1 tomatoes cca 60g = EUR 0,15 (0,5kg = EUR 1,3)
- cucumber (optional)
- 1 larger onion = EUR 0,1
- 1 large yoghurt = EUR 0,6
- 1/2 of cucumber = EUR 0,5 (1cucumber EUR 1)
- powdered garlic
- olive oil
Other ingredients (salt, dill, garlic, oil, pepper, cumin…) are usually at home and for these quantities have not been accounted for.
Total: EUR 3,75
While cooking on stove, use always the lid – without it the energy consumption jumps up by 300 %.
One hour of baking depends on the type of appliance and the energy provider. The average energy consumption (per hour at 200 ° C) is about 0.87-0.90 kWh. 1 kWH cost appx EUR 0,16. With a hot air oven, thanks to air circulation, baking will be effective at 180 ° C and therefore energy efficient. Energy consumption will drop to 0.79 kWh and the saving will be around 10%.
1. Start with preparing the yoghurt 1 day in advance. Tzatziki should be thick and to thicken the yoghurt use a cloth to drain out the whey overnight.
2. Cut the cucumber and remove the middle portion. Cut the rest of the cucumber into very small cubes. Mix all the other ingredients for the tzatziki as per your taste.
3. In this step you start preparing cous cous. Cook cous cous as per the instructions (usually it is with double quantity of water, adding salt and oil).
4. In the meantime, start frying onion until golden. Add pieces of chicken and cook well. Lastly come the vegetables (paprika and tomato). Cook until done and add spices as per taste while cooking.
5. Mix well with the cooked cous cous and serve with tzatziki.
Photos: Shutterstock / Graphic Design: Martina Advaney
Share this post
Interested in co-operating with us?
We are open to co-operation from writers and businesses alike. You can reach us on our email at email@example.com and we will get back to you as quick as we can.