Not long time ago we at YT started a new series dedicated to budget recipes. After considering several factors, the goal was set to reach 4 Euros per meal for four people. It would almost be understood that most of these meals would be vegetarian containing the most basic ingredients. Not quite. To prove it, we would like to show you that even one of the most expensive meats - beef could be included in a budget meal. Today we are preparing shephard´s pie.
Shepherd’s pie is one of the simplest meals I can imagine. I would even call it a recipe for lazy cooks – It’s that easy :-).
Simplicity of it is not only in the proces but also in the ingredients being used. See for yourself.
There are many variations and quite certainly the authentic recipe for Shepherd´s pie is what worked best for us.
- 500 g minced beef = EUR 2,8
- 750 g of potatoes (1 kg = EUR 0,5) 750g = EUR 0,375
- 1 tomato (1 kg = EUR 1,4), 1 tomato is appx 80 – 100g = EUR 0,14
- 1 onion (1 kg = EUR 0,4), 1 onion is appx 80 g = EUR 0,032
- 1 egg (10 eggs = EUR 0,8), 1 egg = EUR = 0,08
- hot milk and butter for potatoe mash acording the need (different potatoes need a different quantity of milk and butter) = appx. EUR 0,2
Total EUR 3,627 + energy
- pepperOther ingredients (salt, pepper…) are usually at home and for these quantities it has not been accounted for.
While cooking on stove, use always the lid – without it the energy consumption jumps upto 300 %.
One hour of baking depends on the type of appliance and the energy provider. The average energy consumption (per hour at 200 ° C) is about 0.87-0.90 kWh. 1 kWH cost appx EUR 0,16. With a hot air oven, thanks to air circulation, baking will be effective at 180 ° C and therefore energy efficient. Energy consumption will drop to 0.79 kWh and the saving will be around 10%.
- First peal potatoes and cook them in salted water until soft. Remove water.
In the meanwhile start frying onion until golden. Then add tomatoes cut in small pieces and let it sizzle for a while.
- At this point add minced meat, salt and peper. Stir ocassionaly. The vegetables and meat will lose some juices while cooking. If it gets too dry, add little bit of water, but just enough so as not to make it too liquidy. Let it cook slowly. Remember the mixture doesn´t have to be completely cooked since it will later be placed in an oven. Once done, keep aside and let it cool a little.
- While the meat is cooking, you can make the potato mash. Add some butter and hot milk (always add little by little). Take a stick blender and slowly blend the potatoes into a smooth mash. Add milk if necessary.
- Now when both the parts are ready, add an egg into the just warm (not hot – you want to avoid making a scrammbled egg out of it) meat mixture and mix well.
- Place the meat in a neat layer at the bottom of the baking dish and layer the potato mash on top of it. Smoothen the top layer. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes in 180°C or until the top layer becomes golden brown.
Share this post
Interested in co-operating with us?
We are open to co-operation from writers and businesses alike. You can reach us on our email at email@example.com and we will get back to you as quick as we can.